The number of coronavirus (COVID-19) contagious cases continue to increase, as well as the list of countries with travel . Before purchasing a travel policy, it is important you consider the following points related to coverage of trip cancellations or trip interruptions:
- Voluntary trip cancellations or interruptions are not covered – If you already purchased your policy and your trip has not begun, you can request to cancel the policy, and the amount paid for the insurance coverage will be returned to you.
- Involuntary trip cancellations and interruptions are covered – If they result from:
- Natural disasters
- Fire or flood in the insured’s home
- Accident in route to the common transportation place (airport)
- Sickness or injury to the insured or his/her immediate family members
- Sickness or injury to one of the group members who accompanies the insured during the trip
- Jury duty
If you must cancel, modify or delay the departure or return of your trip as a result of a governmental or public authority order, CHUBB Insurance Company of Puerto Rico will not indemnify the cancellation, modification or shortening of the scheduled, reorganization, or replacement expenses of the trip. This exclusion only applies at the time of the trip. You can purchase the policy when the government or public authority order is in effect. However, if at the time of the trip the order is no longer valid, the exclusion does not apply, and the coverage then remains in effect.
If there is a trip cancellation or interruption, you must first contact your travel agent or airline to validate if you qualify for a refund or a flight change, free of charge. If this is not the case and you want to begin the process for a claim, contact 1-833-407-8787; a toll-free line dedicated for Popular Insurance customers.
The policy contains other exclusions. To learn if a trip is covered under a policy, or if you have any other question, contact Popular Insurance at 787-706-4111.
The insurance products and services are offered by Popular Insurance, a subsidiary of Popular, Inc., and an affiliate of Banco Popular de Puerto Rico. Insurance products are not insured by the FDIC or any other government agency; are not deposits or other obligations of, nor are they guaranteed by, Banco Popular de Puerto Rico or its subsidiaries and/or affiliates. Some insurance products may lose value.