By Astrid Vélez*
A life without goals is like driving in a foreign country without a map or GPS. Goals are powerful tools that allow us to design our actions, so they are directed toward achieving our objectives. They also support implementing new habits and effective transformation processes and validating those processes through metrics. Developing goals positively impacts our business and life. It provides us with a process of evaluation, growth, change management, and the design of an appropriate follow-up plan. Goals also help us to remain focused.
After over 20 years as a strategist and transformational coach, I have seen that in order to keep yourself focused and achieve your objectives, you need to establish strategic and manageable short-term goals.
I would like to share with you the first two steps, which are crucial for strategic goal development:
Step 1: Identify where you are and what you want. I always recommend making a list of your interests and expectations, since this exercise allows you to begin effective evaluation. Your goals then should be tied to what you hope or want. This allows your actions to be driven with purpose.
Step 2: You should have a clear vision of the future, so it is possible for you to reach every objective you set your mind to. Designing this vision is an essential process in strategic goal development because, by sharing it, you will be able to conquer the minds and hearts of the talented individuals you will need to help you materialize each objective.
Start by creating small goals. This will allow you to identify your weaknesses and strengths, as well as to create a long-term action plan. What is the process?
- Outline a small goal.
- Design actions to achieve it.
- Evaluate who or what will allow you to achieve it.
- Consider what or who could sabotage it.
- Reevaluate the actions to achieve it.
- Develop a support or follow-up plan.
- Determine the date by which you would like it to be materialized.
- Every day, evaluate whether your actions have been directed toward achieving your goal.
Remember that challenges may arise during this process, which only proves the need to pause, take stock, and make small changes to achieve your goals.
How to stay focused
- Identify a person who will support you during your process. Use technology (alarms and reminders) so you do not lose your focus.
- Write down the date by which you would like to materialize your goal. Determine helpful things you could do, and take action for 30 consecutive days.
- Activate encouraging stimuli so you remain alert and keep your energy level focused on obtaining goals.
- Ask yourself every day: “What can I do better?” The next day, do it better!
- Be flexible if you have to make changes during this process. That is what it is all about!
Doing all these things will create new habits that will allow you to achieve your goals.
Now, get ready to make your dreams come true through strategically developed goals!
*Astrid Vélez is an international business strategist, coach, and speaker, and is the owner of Astrid Vélez & Alliances. She is a specialist in transforming central areas of businesses and companies to rapidly and efficiently achieve increased sales. Innovation, self-motivation, and strategic alliances are some of her main tools.
Banco Popular de Puerto Rico (Popular) has no affiliation or relationship with Astrid Vélez & Alliances. This article is informational and does not represent an endorsement or guarantee of the accuracy of its contents. Neither Popular nor any of its affiliates, subsidiaries, or related entities are or will be responsible for any special, direct or indirect, or incidental damages, including but not limited to loss of earnings, resulting from or related to communications, articles, or advice provided by Astrid Vélez & Alliances or that may arise from information contained in this article. Popular is dedicated to providing banking services and does not provide (directly or indirectly) any type of tax, accounting, human resources, training, or marketing services. Should you require any of those services, you should consult the competent professional advisor of your preference. Popular is in no way responsible for the results of any related efforts if you decide to communicate voluntarily with Astrid Vélez & Alliances.